We believe that the Bible is the true Word of God, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the only inspired, inerrant, infallible, authoritative Word of God written, and that it is relevant to our lives today.
- All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. [II Timothy 3:16]
We believe that there is one God, the creator of all things, who exists in 3 persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. [Deut 6:4]
- Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. [Matthew 28:20]
We believe in the deity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His personal return in power and glory.
- … and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen. [Romans 9:5, see also John 8:58]
We believe that sin separates us from our holy God.
- So the Lord God banished him (Adam) from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. [Genesis 3:23]
We believe that God forgives the sins of those who believe that Jesus Christ died in their place and paid the penalty for their sins.
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [John 3:16]
We believe that the work of the Holy Spirit is necessary for salvation.
- But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior. [Titus 3:4-6]
Note: Pastor Dan comes from the “Reformed” tradition, which holds the belief that before someone expresses faith in Christ, the Holy Spirit must regenerate that person and turn him or her back to God. Salvation is a work of the Holy Spirit, which is followed by an expression of saving faith in Christ by the individual. Although this view is taught and preached at Peoples Church, Pastor Dan understands that not all Christians hold to this view of salvation, and the “Reformed” position is not a requirement for membership or fellowship at the church.
We believe that the Holy Spirit lives within all believers and gives them gifts to be used for the sake of building up the church. We encourage people to discover and use their spiritual gifts.
- Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you [I Corinthians 3:16]
- Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. [I Cor 12:7]
We believe that God wants Christians to be united in His church.
- … you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. [Eph. 2:19,20]
We believe that Jesus Christ will come to the earth again and that He will judge all people, both the living and the dead.
- This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” [Acts 1:11]
- In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead. [II Timothy 4:1]
We believe that those who trust in Christ will be with Him in paradise forever.
- [Jesus said] “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.” [John 5:24]